Saturday, May 2, 2015

Minute to breathe

The last two weeks have been extraordinarily busy.  We're 100% moved in (have been for a week), but everything is still in boxes.  Basically I worked all week, came home, ate dinner, hung out for an hour, then came home and went to bed.  I'm praying that my load lightens a bit so I can spend more time at home, accomplishing the things we need to do here!  I did manage to get two of the three bedrooms into usable order.  I need to finish putting away clothes and remove some of the extraneous items from my bedroom (which got used as a storage room for a few days) but after that, bedrooms are good for use.  I just need some curtains!!  I think we'll work on that next weekend, when Mom is in town.  I'm thankful I have access to 4 sewing machines and a serger!

Today I am thankful for quiet Saturday mornings.  I woke up this morning before my alarm and took the opportunity to take a short run.  Jazz is a great running buddy!  He keeps my pace, don't stop to sniff every single interesting thing, and because he's a small dog, his stamina level is still better than mine.  He's been doing much better recently.  Now if he does, for some reason, go out into the yard, he comes back in right away when called.  He has his own blanket on the floor next to the bed in my room, but the other night he slept at the foot of Damien's bed (which completely made Damien's day!!)  Connor is still somewhat resisting sleeping in his own bed, but we had forward movement Thursday night: he fell asleep initially in my bed (while I was toddling around finishing up evening chores) and I woke him up (accidentally) to move him to his bed.  He was unhappy when I laid him down, but it was because I had neglected to grab his pillow from my bed (which he thoughtfully brought with him when he crawled into my bed in the first place.)  That remedied, and a couple of minutes of snuggles, he was a happy camper, and slept the whole night in his bed.

Status update on the house: floors are 80% stripped and ready for sanding.  Joey did a lot last night, finishing up the hallway and made good progress on the kitchen.  I'm grateful for that, I was getting tired of tracking adhesive all over the house!!  This stuff is nasty, and it triggers my asthma.  A lot of the windows are open and this morning I have both screen doors open, too.  Although, the front door is kinda useless as far as clean air.  One of our neighbors has a beautiful simple wooden screen door on her front.  I told Joe that we should make one like it!

We also tore out the dishwasher!  The cutoff valve wasn't working correctly and it was collecting water from the sink and when it was going to drain, the pipe was leaking.  We wound up with soaked beams and a puddle in the basement.  I'm grateful we have family close by who knows a thing or two about plumbing (thanks, Chris!)

On today's list: get the living room to a usable point, move extra storage boxes downstairs, finish making the kitchen usable.  We may make a trip into Pullman to look at flooring for the kitchen again.  I found some really cool options at Pullman Building Supply when I was there 2 weeks ago.  You can pretty much scratch at it with a set of keys and it won't scuff!  I'm not sure what the long-term wear would be like, but combined with the fact that it's a plastic-type floor, I wouldn't worry about spilling water or other liquids on the floor and having it stain the wood floors underneath.

Love you all, thank you all for your support!!

Also: THREE WEEKS!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment