Monday, January 9, 2017

Hiatus, otherwise known as "we had a baby"

Leighton was born on June 12, 2016, at 5:15 p.m., in the middle of our dining room. He weighed eight pounds, eight ounces, and had a FULL head of curls.
You could say he stole our hearts.

In any case, our already busy lives began to revolve around taking care of this little guy. He's nearly seven months old, much to his father's despair, and is doing cool things like sitting by himself and trying to eat all of his mother's yarn.

Things are starting to slow down a little, in the sense that I'm starting to feel like I have more free time to work on house projects. Joe got TWO drills for Christmas (thanks to Daddy, Ben, and Brian)! And I? I got yarn and promptly started knitting up a storm.
It's been cold and snowy in this part of the country, which means MITTENS and SCARVES and HATS and SWEATERS!

Okay, I'll be honest: all I've knitted in the last month is mittens and hats...but still. I have multiple projects in mind, including the Tin Can Knits simple series (which is where I found the pattern for the mittens).  If you've never really knit before, this could be a good place to start. They go over a lot of the basic knitting principals, including casting on, etc. They're great patterns for a first timer, especially since they have tutorials for "fancy" things...like mittens!

I'm a little obsessed with how easy they are. I might be on my third pair. I plead the fifth.

Another thing I have been working on is planning Damien and Connor's bedroom.  I am BEYOND tired of looking at the pink paint and weird fake tile below the window. I still need to paint Leighton's room (which he isn't sleeping in) and we still need to finish his crib (which he probably won't sleep in), but something has to change about the room before I go crazy. I'm sure they don't mind it - they haven't complained about it yet - but I care!

The image below (Pinterest) is what I plan to do to the boys' wall behind the door, and the rest of the walls will either also be dark blue or will be in a chalk white. I'm tempted to keep the walls dark if for no other reason than to hide the fingerprints... Kids will be kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment